Foto gemaakt door Renzo Candido

Foto gemaakt door Renzo Candido
Deze pagina is niet meer in gebruik, voor alle informatie kunt u kijken op mijn site!

vrijdag 10 juni 2011

The Founder of Int. Yarn Bombing Day Speaks!

The Founder of Int. Yarn Bombing Day Speaks!

The Founder of Int. Yarn Bombing Day Speaks!

Posted: 09 Jun 2011 11:18 PM PDT

I was so pleased to find out that Alberta-based knitter Joann Matvichuk has started International Yarn Bombing Day. Now that knitters and crocheters across the globe are burning through yarn in time for the big day, I thought it was important to ask Joann what inspired her to start the event. She was kind enough to answer my pesky questions.

Tell me about yourself.

I am 44 years old and I live in Lethbridge Alberta Canada

What inspired International Yarn Bombing Day?
I was having some insomnia and was wide awake at three am back in February of this year and I browsing Facebook looking for Yarnbombing pages. With each click I found more and more and they were from all over the place then I wandered over to ravelry.com and did the same in the yarnbomb groups there. That was when I realized that if I could reach out to this vastly growing community that we could all come together and do its thing some of us call graffiti and some call it art all at the same time on one day and that’s when the idea was born. I do my best thinking at 3 am you know. So the next morning I started building the page and would just share my link on Facebook pages and then a while later I started the group on Ravelry.

How did you learn to knit?
My mother taught me the basics when I was a young girl but I was never really interested was more interested in being outside and then when I was pregnant with my first son I got the itch and joined a small group through a friend of mine and the Guru of the group taught me what I needed to know which was how to read a pattern she was also the one who started teaching me how to crochet but I gave up on that soon and then my friend Amy who is one of the Purl Gurls really helped me learn but I still consider myself a beginner.

When did you start yarn bombing?
I started yarnbombing about a year ago now and I started doing it because I liked the things I saw like the Yarn Bombing book it was right up my alley adventurous and quirky and artsy all at the same time.

What will you do being on June 11th?
I will be doing some small installations on June 11th as my posse the Purl Gurls are unable to help but no matter how small I just hope they make someone smile.

Do you have any advice for your fellow yarn bombers?
My advice to those Yarn Bombing on June 11th is enjoy what you’re doing enjoy the thrill have fun spread the yarn love as I would say and above all else be safe if you’re doing it at night or on your own. And be proud of the community that we belong to.

Wise words Joann! Thanks for taking the time to be interviewed. You have inspired a lot of people to participate in the knitted arts this weekend.
—-

For June 11th, I will be working with a small group of Vancouver-based knitters to bomb a local statue and will be blogging all day – posting whatever comes to me in the form of photos and stories. If you want to send me something, please ensure that the files are under 1MB, and you tell me where the yarn bombing was and who to credit and link back to for the photograph. Items can be sent to me at leanne (AT) yarn bombing (DOT) come.

Rumor has it that this week’s TIME magazine has a yarn bombing story in it, so you may want to pick up a copy.

And, there is a documentary team who is also seeking images of whatever you do on June 11th. Here is their official call:
WE WANT YOUR IYBD FOOTAGE! My crew and I can only be in one place at a time, but we want to gather as much footage as possible for an elaborate montage of bombers around the world. If you plan on taking part of any project and plan to have video, pictures, or any other documentation, please send it to us. This is an imparitive part of the film.

Here’s how it works:

- You can upload any materials you have to www.wetransfer.com (up to 2 GB) or www.yourfilelink.com (up to 5GB).
-When upload is complete it will give a link to the file.
-Email this link to freelancelot002@gmail.com.

PLEASE NOTE that even though you retain ownership of all media uploaded, by submitting materials you give the filmmakers full permission to use the media in the film, without compensation. Though we can not pay you for your footage, credit will be given for the work done in the end credits of the film.

Again, this is a call to ANYONE doing some sort of fiber art project on this day. This is your chance to feature your work to the world! Please help us get the word out to all the groups, big and small. http://yarngraffitidocumentary.blogspot.com/2011/06/give-us-your-international-yarn-bombing.html

I’m really excited to see what comes from all this.

Thanks and keep crafting!

Best Regards,
-Sarah

Geen opmerkingen: